Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Losing My Sister to Alzheimers

HORRENDOUS!!!!! 

This powerful word does not even begin to describe the horrors of this terrible, awful disease!!  My English professor friend would say I am overusing the exclamation point but this the only way I vent my anger at this disease.  It is stealing my younger sister by sucking her personality away in small bits and pieces.  She almost never sings any of our favorite songs any more.  I see her beautiful, friendly smile less often and try to sear each and every one into my memory.  Speaking of my memory, is it going to disappear like hers?  Such a scary thought I don't let myself think of it very often or very much.  Must go get ready to drive the 300 miles to go to the doctor with her and continue plans of moving her to assisted living in Kansas City soon as possible.  Doctors say it isn't safe for her to live alone.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristi. Medication is helping some so that gives us some more time that I didn't think we were going to have. Thank God for each additional day as the sister I have known all my life.

    ReplyDelete