Sunday, October 5, 2014

Kansas City, MO Financial Abuse

(Kansas City, MO) Financial Abuse:  A very common form of domestic violence, but seldom talked about, is financial abuse. While I was married, my husband opened a savings account “in his name only” where he deposited his check. Then he handed money to me to cover the house payment and utilities. Groceries and childcare were covered by my paychecks.  Doctor bills, school clothes & supplies for our children and anything beyond the minimum basics, I had to request and justify the need of additional money from HIS account ... almost weekly.

My wardrobe, including underwear, consisted of almost all hand-me-downs and thrift store finds. Our children got new clothes at the beginning of each school year and Christmas.  Financial abuse is just 1 small piece of domestic violence, but a very important one. To learn financial abuse and other aspects of abuse, visit HALTfamilyabuse.org to register for the upcoming “Guiding Families to Safety Conference” on October 11th or visit the workshop listing on Eventbrite at http://bit.ly/1wFR41O.


No comments:

Post a Comment